E-learning’ has graduated from simply implying ‘electronic’ learning; it has widened its avenues w.r.t learning systems, technologies, content and knowledge infusion. Its significance is better understood with the 5 ‘E’s that it essentially entails. In a corporate set up, these features are highly valuable and ‘must-haves’ for achieving growth targets.
- Empowering: Companies that ‘empower’ employees with cutting edge knowledge attain better productivity and employee retention.
- Easy and Engaging: Providing ‘easy’ and ‘engaging’ learning modules ensures that people participate readily and willingly complete the courses.
- Effective and Economic: The goal of getting high ROI is fulfilled through learning systems that are ‘effective’ and ‘economic’.
Without an iota of doubt, e-learning is deemed to be the most sought-after asset creation tool for corporate players. Corporate training stands a great chance of success with added elements of elearning or etraining.
A glance over Corporate E-learning
On-the-job elearning is more of a necessity today than a choice for organisations given the current fluctuating employment scenario. E-learning for corporate enterprises is related to training and skill enhancement. Thereby, elearning content has to be carefully curated, data-backed and well-researched to include the most relevant aspects of a subject.
- Corporate e-learning is focused more on the benefits that will accrue to the organisation as a whole rather than to individual employees. So it includes skills essential for the particular job roles and departments.
- It is also customised according to the functions and seniority level of learners.
- It must be crisp and concentrated, so that maximum learning is attained in less time.
- There must be a feedback process included in the LMS, to gauge the experience of learners and make necessary changes.
- There must be evaluation criteria like worksheets/ quizzes so that management can judge whether the learning targets are achieved and calculate the ROI of LMS.
Value-addition offered by E-learning for corporates
The importance of corporate e-learning cannot be overemphasized in times when skill enhancement is the key to retain one’s job through consistent performance. The advantages of digital learning, delivered through a well planned LMS, can be surmised as below:
- Customisation: The presentation as well as difficulty level of course material is designed as per the targeted learners. So, it is very specific and personalized.
- Time and place flexibility: E-learning modules can be accessed by learners as per their convenience, whenever they have time. Since the material is available on a central server, it can be used 24x7 and at any place. This suits the organisations where people work in shifts, or are placed in different locations.
- Multiple platforms: Courses can be created to work on different platforms. Moreover, the modules can be uploaded and accessed on devices like smartphones and tablets, apart from laptops.
- Interactive: Interactive modules mean that employees can ask queries, give feedback and share ideas during a class. This is similar to real time learning, except for the fact that it is happening in a digital environment.
Top 5 domains where E-learning is making a loud roar
While benefits of E-learning are reaching almost every segment of the corporate sector, there are some professional fields that are leveraging its power to the fullest. The impact of e-learning on the growth of these sectors is commendable:
- Education: The professionals engaged in education sector are utilising E-learning platforms both as creators and consumers. They are taking the help of e-learning tools for more engaging course creation and effective distribution. They are also enhancing their own knowledge with the help of these tools, since they must keep abreast of the latest developments in their concerned field.
- IT and software: In the IT sector, the demand for cutting edge know-how to perform a task with efficiency makes the use of e-learning so important. The modules in this sector are usually in short formats of one to three minutes. These can be viewed at any time, even during a task that needs immediate guidance.
- Marketing: People in the marketing and retail sectors must learn soft skills on the go. They have to face a number of queries and objections. The mobile e-learning modules help them get answers, face rejections and stay motivated.
- Healthcare: Constant innovations in healthcare and rising demand for more skilled healthcare professionals are the reasons that make e-learning so vital in this domain. Using graphical presentations, AI, augmented reality and forum based tools, medical professionals and experience the procedures and share knowledge.
- Financial services: Up to date and interactive e-learning modules help finance professionals stay prepared for risk management, understand the latest investment trends, judge the international markets and make more informed decisions. They can also come up with innovative financial tools using the e-learning courses, as they need to interact with new age customers who are highly tech savvy.
â€‹Case study of a corporate before and after e-learning introduced
Antara Ltd., a company providing education support to schools, wanted to start a new service in the digital segment. They needed a team that could approach schools with the proper framework of smart classes, give presentations and acquire deals.
CASE PRESENTED TO US
Our task was to train the existing team in all facets of smart education, starting from designing of digital content to use of smart boards for teaching and assessment tools for internal tests. They had to be prepared to explain all these in detail to the prospective clients.
Our challenge was that none of the team members had any prior experience of instructional designingas they were only subject matter experts and marketing professionals. We had to combine several aspects and train them in a limited time period, well before the launch of digital services by the company.
HOW WE HELPED
The solution provided by our team was as multifaceted as our problem. Here is what we did:
- Gave a presentation on the smart learning technologies in trend
- Prepared a detailed module on smart classes, including different features like blended learning, pedagogy styles, ADDIE model and use of tools
- The module, available on podcast and tabs, was supported by an app created specially by our team.
- We integrated Role play, Games and Quizzes based assessment and exercises, so that the client team can get a real time experience of how the service will be presented to the prospect schools
At the end, the team was given online graphical worksheets for easy follow up.